Unrecognized mount option "uid=1001" or missing value

Nicolas Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Mon Jan 31 17:53:27 UTC 2011

On 01/31/2011 06:39 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> I am trying to mount a ext4 fs and keep the ownership to a user with
> uid=1001 and it is failing

[...]
> root at splunk:~# mount -o uid=splunk /dev/sdc1 /opt/splunk
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
[...]

I just checked man, and there does not seem to be a uid option available
for Ext (3 or 4).  This makes sense as the file system itself allows to
specify ownership of files and directory.

Why don't you assign the files/directories on your volume a group for
which your target user is a member?  That should solve your problem.

Nick