problem in mounting an nfs export on a USB disk

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Wed Jan 5 14:25:32 UTC 2011

Quoting Tapas Mishra (mightydreams at gmail.com):
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Tapas Mishra (mightydreams at gmail.com):
> >> I have a USB disk which has 2 partitions.I exported one of them (on NFS)
> >> and now I am trying to mount it at client machine.
> >> Each time it gets error
> >>
> >> mount -t nfs 192.168.1.19:/media/vol2 /mnt/nfs/
> >> mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.19:/media/vol2
> >>
> >> Here is the /etc/exports file entry
> >>
> >> showmount -e on nfs server gives
> >> Export list for tapas:
> >> /media/vol2 */24
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken, you are only supposed to use '*' with fully qualified
> > domain names, and '*.*' must be specified for 'google.com' (not '*').  So
> > ISTM that both using '*' and then specifyin /24 are wrong.
> >
> > Try 0.0.0.0/24?
> >
> > -serge
> >

> Before posting here I had tried the IP of client where I have put the *

Also I'm not sure if showmounts output would show this, but is the (options)
after ip address required?  For instance, cat /etc/exports would give:

	/media/vol2 0.0.0.0/24(rw)

If that still doesn't work, you could try

	/media/vol2 (rw)

to check whether addressing is the problem.  But I think we'll need to
see whether there are any relevant messages in /var/log/syslog.

(You're using the nfs kernel server, right?)

-serge