problem in mounting an nfs export on a USB disk

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 09:37:13 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have a USB disk which has 2 partitions.I exported one of them (on NFS)
>> and now I am trying to mount it at client machine.
>> Each time it gets error
>>
>> mount -t nfs 192.168.1.19:/media/vol2 /mnt/nfs/
>> mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.19:/media/vol2
>>
>> Here is the /etc/exports file entry
>>
>> showmount -e on nfs server gives
>> Export list for tapas:
>> /media/vol2 */24
>>
>> On the client machine nfs-client package is installed.
>> What more I need to check?
>> Is it logged some where?

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Ashok Kumar
<ashok.kumar at ebusinessware.com> wrote:
> you should provide the permission on folder.

I am root and checked permissions after your msg

 ls -l
total 26
drwxrwxrwx 2 tapas tapas  2048 2010-02-12 04:12 HPLAUNCHER
drwx------ 7 tapas tapas  4096 1970-01-01 05:30 vol1
drwx------ 1 tapas tapas 20480 2011-01-03 17:43 vol2

I have not mounted them as above.When ever I connect the USB it
automatically is getting mounted as above.
As root I try on vol2 of above

chown 755 /media/vol2
but when I now check the permissions there is no change.
when I do ls -l I get
drwx------ 1 tapas tapas 20480 2011-01-03 17:43 vol2
same thing.
How is this that chown is not working even as root?