Why choosing Ubuntu JeOS for Virtual Appliance ?

Dan Sheffner dsheffner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 21:04:46 UTC 2011

I have actually used Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Red Hat in production environments.
All of them have quirks about each.

Gentoo is completely compiled from source.  So you may see a little
performance gain in doing that but the draw back is patching takes forever.
At the time I had a distcc cluster helping compile the code but even then
patching was taking way too long.  If you are running servers that don't
require 24/7/365 services and can spend hours patching, gentoo may be a good
option though most of the time this isn't the case.  Also when the emerge
fails (Gentoo update system)  it is up to the Gentoo community to help fix
these problems.  I have seen emerge fail a handful of times while apt-get
update/upgrade I have never seen fail.

Another thing I require is to have a local mirror for updating my servers.
Ubuntu/Debian are great about this because I can update the local mirror,
patch development and testing environments, test to make sure nothing
breaks, and then patch production.  Then repeat.

Red Hat requires subscription fees in order to update the servers. So I
don't believe you can actually run a local mirror.  I could be wrong but
since I don't want the companies I work for spending a fortune on operating
systems I use Ubuntu.  Another thing I really like is that Ubuntu has a
server edition while the default Red Hat installs include a GUI.  I never
need a GUI on my servers and I don't want the overhead of even running one
on my servers.  Yes you can remove the GUI stuff during the install but that
is why I love the Ubuntu Server edition. Just the minimum set of packages in
order to run the server efficiently.

Ubuntu server edition is such a great product for enterprise solutions.  I
have over 50 production servers and probably another 200 in testing &
development between Amazon EC2 and a data center I use.  Ubuntu Server
edition is certainly not a student/homePC os. I also absolutely love the LTS
(Long Term Support) editions.  Knowing I can focus on the services that the
server is running and know it will be supported for 5 years is so nice.

Ubuntu will be my choice for linux distro for the rest of my life.  Ubuntu
has done an excellent job.