restricting ssh login based on IP

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 05:32:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to allow a user to login through SSH but with different
permission coming from different ipaddress.

For example, a user "tester" login to SSH through 192.168.1.1 and
another user login with the same login id "tester" but from different
ip 192.168.1.2.

How do I restrict 192.168.1.2 to only allow for viewing the content in
the home directory while giving 192.168.1.1 full access?

I got a suggestion from some one

Approach 1)
 Based on the ip you change the shell. If it's just for read only a
jail would be fine.

but how do I change shell based on IP?

Approach 2)

 to have two ssh instances. Let's say port 22 and port 24. Port 22 is
for read only, while port 24 is for full access

so how can it be possible to give port 22 only read only access to SSH

--
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com