Intel matrix storage manager support?

jurgen.depicker at let.be jurgen.depicker at let.be
Tue Feb 15 13:10:12 UTC 2011

Dear all,

As you may know, many Intel motherboards ship with a BIOS fakeraid
(software raid).  Presently, Ubuntu doesn't seem to know how to handle
these, apparently due to mdadm being too old: as far as I know, imsm is
supported starting from mdadm V3 and higher.  I checked the ubuntu
packages, and came to know that v3 will be shipped in the upcoming release
11.04 (natty).  The present version of mdadm is below 3.

Presently, I use SW raid on many of our servers.  But for some customer
installations, support of imsm would be nice.  Will ubuntu support imsm
raids by default?

Some relevant info I found on the web:
http://www.expert.tc/topic.php?id=159833
-> After running
mdadm --assemble --scan
which finds and assembles the container, running
mdadm -I /dev/md/imsm0
assembles the arrays inside the container.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-1-64-bit-with-intel-matrix-storage-manager-807930/
-> a guy struggling to get his RAID working on Slackware, which didn't
include mdadm v3 yet.

Kind regards,
Jürgen Depicker