RAID configuration failed during install

Serge van Ginderachter serge at vanginderachter.be
Sat Feb 12 08:48:59 UTC 2011

2011/2/11 Tor Martin Slåen <tormsl at gmail.com>

> it would not recognize /dev/sd[ab][12], but could only recognize
> /dev/sd[ab] (the whole disk).

I have been bitten by this behaviour several times already, through using
different versions of Ubuntu.

Lots of times I use Ubuntu with a software raid (using md device that is)
for the boot system, this problem seem to occur.

The bug report that most helped me was

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/27037/

 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/27037/>Read it
through the end, though, I managed to find a workaround by forcing the right
combinations of partitions into md devices by setting them in mdadm.conf.
This might not work for all setups though.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Serge van Ginderachter