Looking for Feedback: Update mysql from 5.1 to 5.5

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 01:58:50 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 09:22 AM, Chuck Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the Ubuntu Server Team meeting I brought up the agenda item of
> upgrading mysql 5.1 in main to mysql 5.5. There are several reasons to
> do this:
>
> * Its faster compared to mysql 5.1 (although I dont have any benchmarks)
> * There are more bug fixes for mysql 5.5.
> * Amazon is using it on the cloud images.
> * Packages are nearly ready to be uploaded.
> * Easier to maintain going forward.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> chuck

I'd agree too.  MySQL 5.5 is now into GA, stable (mature even?) after
several point releases and from what I've seen in benchmarks by various
parties, it shows no regressions and a whole heap of speed
improvements.  The additional benefits of InnoDB and its ACID compliance
being the default storage engine are also both significant and should be
transparent to Joe Average end users.

Paul