[Oneiric-Topic] Revisit Xen support

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Mon Apr 4 11:08:25 UTC 2011

Am Mo, 4.04.2011, 11:40 schrieb Clint Byrum:
> Excerpts from Soren Hansen's message of Mon Apr 04 01:40:39 -0700 2011:
>> 2011/4/3 Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com>:
>> > Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of Fri Apr 01 16:51:04 -0700 2011:
>> > Not one person has stood up and said that KVM blows Xen away, or is
>> even
>> > "better".
>>
>> Um, no... because you didn't ask.
>>

> Fair enough.
>
> Maybe we should ask though. Adding Xen back in means less resources for
> KVM, so the KVM users' opinions matter quite a bit.

In my opinion asking "is some software better than another software" is
the wrong approach. KVM has advantages over Xen and Xen has advantages
over KVM. It depends on a lot of factors which is an appropriate solution
for a given task. Sometimes KVM wins and sometimes Xen and sometimes
VMware and so on.

KVM should not degraded in favor of Xen. Never!

What SysAdmins need are options to choose from to fit the best in their
networks. If Xen is available in the vanilla kernel a Xen kernel should be
available. But never in favor of a good KVM support.

It is the same for MTAs: we have among postfix exim, sendmail, qmail and a
lot of other MTAs in the package repository. One MTA might work better for
a given situation than the others.

Michael