[Oneiric-Topic] Byobu

Fabio T. Leitao fabio.tleitao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 01:37:33 UTC 2011

Well,

I do use Byobu, but I would vote against its default on server... You see, I
use both Windows and Ubuntu to manage my Ubuntu servers (and I guess I am
not the only one), and on Windows, I have to use a few different terminal
emulators to SSH my way into the servers, such as Putty and SecureCRT... but
Byobu simply wont work on them (most likely due to a escape code missing or
to many, it will fill up the screen on byobu updates rolling up, instead of
keeping to the bottom) Therefore, I use byobu only whe I am already at a
Ubuntu machine (or other linux, for that matter)

2011/4/2 Dustin Kirkland <kirkland at ubuntu.com>

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:12 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > I took your statement of "we'll have almost everything we need." to
> > mean, we'll have almost everything we need to make it the default
> > terminal shell.
>
> Hey Clint, one important clarification here.  Just need to update the
> vocabulary here...
>
> This isn't about byobu as a "default shell".  Byobu/screen is not a
> shell itself, but rather a "command line window manager".  It's a
> program that runs within a shell, and allows you to launch and manage
> dozens (40, by default) of shells within a single user process.
>
> Your default shell is bash, or dash, ash, csh, tsh, ksh, etc. etc.
> etc.  All of those do (or at least should -- file bugs if not) work
> just fine under Linux.  Ubuntu chooses a default user shell of bash
> for you.  There's no intention to change that.
>
> The way "byobu at login" currently works is by adding a line to the
> very end of your ~/.profile:
>  case "$-" in *i*) byobu-launcher && exit 0; esac;
>
> This says "if the shell being launched is interactive, then run byobu
> and exit when byobu is done".  There is always room for improvement
> there, and that's part of what a blueprint would design and fix.
>
> Anyway, this is an interesting point in the thread.  I'm going to put
> together a blog post that actually walks through all of what happens
> when you login into an Ubuntu command line shell, from a low-level
> technical perspective ;-)
>
> --
> :-Dustin
>
> Dustin Kirkland