[Oneiric-Topic] Byobu

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 1 19:12:56 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Dustin Kirkland's message of Fri Apr 01 10:43:02 -0700 2011:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Dustin Kirkland's message of Fri Apr 01 07:08:31 -0700 2011:
> >>
> >> That's a great idea, Raphael.  Actually, I was talking with Dave
> >> Walker about this recently.  Basically, I'm just going to move the
> >> screen configuration magic from screenbin into byobu, and I think
> >> we'll have almost everything we need.
> >>

> > Maybe I'm missing something here.. but this seems to happen to me
> > whenever I enable "byobu by default" (last time I did this in earnest
> > was for a week around 10.10 beta1, but I simluated it again just now on
> > natty beta1 to confirm its still this way):
>
> Clint,
>
> We're talking about two different things.  What you're talking about
> is the behavior of one system user on the system, logging in multiple
> times, from multiple different places.
>
> We're talking about GNU screen's built in ACL feature, where one user
> can share a session (optionally with read/write, or read/only) to a
> different system user.  So user 'kirkland' could share his session
> with user 'Spamaps', or 'guest'.

I took your statement of "we'll have almost everything we need." to
mean, we'll have almost everything we need to make it the default
terminal shell.

> > [ from inside byobu ]
> > clint at laptop:~$ sshlucid-box-that-has-byobu-on
> >
> > I know that had it been a later release it would ask me about the nested
> > session. I am not sure that is all that great as well, how about just
> > making the default answer N and not even asking? I know sometimes you
> > do want a nested session... but I'd bet guess thats a special case and
> > usually not what users want, and is handled very well by running 'byobu'
> > Even a simple echo 'You have an active byobu session..' would be better
> > than stopping to ask me a question.
>
> Interesting.  Sure, we can make that configurable, at the very least.
> And we should absolutely discuss the most sensible default behavior.
> That's absolutely a valid point, and something that should definitely
> be reconsidered.

I opened a bug to get some feedback:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/byobu/+bug/747649

> > Anyway, since this is a lucid remote box, now I have *4* lines of byobu
> > hotness at the bottom. Also I hit F2 to go to the next window. OOPS,
> > my ssh session disappeared because I'm only controlling the local
> > byobu. I want to scroll back on the remote machine to see what I did
> > 5 minutes ago. Oops, the scrollback capabilities are gone because my
> > local terminal has been told its got a window now. Ctrl-A-A-ESC will
> > get me into the screen backscroll/copy/paste mode, but by this time,
> > honestly.. I'm very, very annoyed and just want my bash back.
>
> You can *always* get around byobu launching by default by running:
>
>  $ ssh -t remotehost bash
>
> I use this frequently when ssh'ing elsewhere from within Byobu, if I
> don't want a nested session.  This probably needs to be documented
> better.

I think its well documented and works fine. My main concern is that it
interrupts the normal flow to have to logout and back in to disable the
nesting.

> > Until the mechanics flow between terminals and ssh sessions in a way
> > that makes sense to me, I'll find it very hard to be a +1.
>
> Fair enough.  It's really just a matter of knowing where you are, and
> how to drive.  It's second nature to me, at this point.

Thats sort of the opposite of all those who haven't started using byobu
yet, whom we're suggesting may be opted in to it soon.

This one isn't a total deal killer. I am concerned that going forward w/o
some plan for how to handle nested sessions smoothly would be a missed
opportunity to give a lot of users a really great first impression
of byobu.

> > Has there been any thought given to focusing on making byobu work in
> > a more client/server way where a remote byobu knows it is talking to
> > a byobu terminal, and so can integrate well into it (so add its status
> > to the local byobu rather than adding another status line.. and letting
> > f-keys be split between local / remote).
> >
> > THAT would make it smooth, and would probably turn me into a fan.
>
> To be honest, no I haven't given much thought specifically about it,
> though that sounds like a great topic for Oneiric byobu development.
>
> The code that currently handles this (in case you want to toy with it
> yourself) is in /usr/bin/byobu-launcher.  See the:
>   case "$TERM" in     *screen*) #handle nesting ...
> section of that shell script.  This is where we could do something smarter.

Count me in for a session about byobu development.