[Oneiric-Topic] Byobu

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 1 16:48:58 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Dustin Kirkland's message of Fri Apr 01 07:08:31 -0700 2011:
> 2011/4/1 Raphaël Pinson <raphink at gmail.com>:
> > Also, a few years back, I had begun to work on making screen ACLs
> > easier in byobu, but had not found the time to finish that part. Since
> > Ubuntu encourages the use of user accounts vs root, this is a feature
> > that could be very useful on Ubuntu servers I think.
>
> That's a great idea, Raphael.  Actually, I was talking with Dave
> Walker about this recently.  Basically, I'm just going to move the
> screen configuration magic from screenbin into byobu, and I think
> we'll have almost everything we need.

Maybe I'm missing something here.. but this seems to happen to me
whenever I enable "byobu by default" (last time I did this in earnest
was for a week around 10.10 beta1, but I simluated it again just now on
natty beta1 to confirm its still this way):

[ from inside byobu ]
clint at laptop:~$ sshlucid-box-that-has-byobu-on

I know that had it been a later release it would ask me about the nested
session. I am not sure that is all that great as well, how about just
making the default answer N and not even asking? I know sometimes you
do want a nested session... but I'd bet guess thats a special case and
usually not what users want, and is handled very well by running 'byobu'
Even a simple echo 'You have an active byobu session..' would be better
than stopping to ask me a question.

Anyway, since this is a lucid remote box, now I have *4* lines of byobu
hotness at the bottom. Also I hit F2 to go to the next window. OOPS,
my ssh session disappeared because I'm only controlling the local
byobu. I want to scroll back on the remote machine to see what I did
5 minutes ago. Oops, the scrollback capabilities are gone because my
local terminal has been told its got a window now. Ctrl-A-A-ESC will
get me into the screen backscroll/copy/paste mode, but by this time,
honestly.. I'm very, very annoyed and just want my bash back.

Until the mechanics flow between terminals and ssh sessions in a way
that makes sense to me, I'll find it very hard to be a +1.

Has there been any thought given to focusing on making byobu work in
a more client/server way where a remote byobu knows it is talking to
a byobu terminal, and so can integrate well into it (so add its status
to the local byobu rather than adding another status line.. and letting
f-keys be split between local / remote).

THAT would make it smooth, and would probably turn me into a fan.