help please:not getting boot menu only grub console appears

Nicolas Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Sun Sep 26 12:09:16 UTC 2010

On 09/25/2010 11:28 AM, saurav singh wrote:
> i am new to ubuntu, and i installed ubuntu 10.04.1 server edition in
> my vaio laptop,evey thing went fine xcpt the grub configuration,
> b/c when i rebooted after installing ubuntu it dint boot any os and
> only i was able to see the Grub console "GRUB>"
>
> i tried this
> {
> rootnoverify (hd0,1)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> boot
> }
>
> and was able to boot my windows 7 os but any how i am not able to boot ubuntu.
> and also i whant to create boot menu so that i may not have to enter
> all the commands every tym i try to boot my laptop

Did you install Ubuntu using the server CD or a USB key?  If the later,
I have ran against a similar issue recently where grub had been
installed on the USB key (making the key unbootable) instead of my drive.

If that's the case, the solution I found was to:
- rebuild the usb key
- boot in rescue mode
- mount the partition for / and /boot
- chroot to where you mounted /
- update-grub
- grub-install to the correct device
- reboot

Hope this helps.  If you can reproduce the issue, try to open a bug with
your installer logs.  I unfortunately only had access to the hardware
where I found he issue for a very short time, so I was not able to open
the bug in question.

Nick