Default use of caching on raw volumes

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu Sep 2 13:15:40 UTC 2010

Quoting Alex Muntada (alexm at alexm.org):
> + Serge E. Hallyn <serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> > From what I see online it definately seems to make a huge difference.
> > For Lucid and Maverick I think the best we can do at this point is to
> > tell the user about it.  For Natty, well the best option is to have you
> > work with upstream to change the default there.  Sounds like you've got
> > a posse forming to back you up  :)
>
> Just want to point out that there's a bug about this on LP:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virt-manager/+bug/568445

Hm, I see, and Anthony's comment #6 makes a lot of sense to me.
Like he says, I only use virt-manager for casual use.  For real
tests, well I tend to use kvm cmdline, but on remote servers
lately I use libvirt directly so that I can do things like create
base.xml, then
	for i in `seq 1 20`; do
		cp base.xml vm$i.xml
		sed -i 'whatever' vm$i.xml
		virsh define vm$i.xml
	done

So I guess before we consider carrying a patch just in ubuntu,
we should answer the question - do we expect users who are trying
out kvm just once to use virt-manager or testdrive?

-serge