restarting ssh sshd[5678]: error: Bind to port 22 on :: failed: Address already in use.

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 01:52:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Paul Graydon <paul at paulgraydon.co.uk> wrote:

> Are you confident that it's actually restarted ultimately?  What start
> date/time does it show when you do:
Yes

> ps waxu | grep [s]shd
>
> ?  If it can't bind to port 22 it does suggest that sshd never properly
> terminates (if it ever does)

netstat -plan | grep ssh
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      28576/sshd
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*
LISTEN      28576/sshd

But by the time I posted second reply I do not see this error any more
when I restart ssh.
sudo service ssh restart

The only real thing I can think of is that ssh wasn't letting go of
port 22 when I restarted it.