Sharing hosts.deny

Douglas Stanley douglas.m.stanley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:52:21 UTC 2010

Deny hosts can be configured to get hosts from a central server that
other users contribute to. That can include hosts your other machines
contribute, if you enable uploading of your deny hosts entries. Check
out the man pages on the deny hosts configuration...or actually, I
think just need to read the config file it self, it's self
documenting.

As for a way to have machines on your network share their deny hosts
with one another, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tool to do that
already, but It's not something I've ever come across. If anyone else
knows of a tool that does something like that though, I'd be very
interested!

I though there was something I saw at one point that had snort monitor
network traffic, and then snort could tell machines to block ip's
based on stuff it saw...I swear I saw stuff like that out there, but
can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Hope that helps,

Doug