looking for upgrade instructions to 10.10 without formatting

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Thu Oct 14 07:08:45 UTC 2010

On 10/14/2010 09:46 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Imre Gergely <gimre at narancs.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/14/2010 09:15 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am having Ubuntu 10.04 server running.
>>> In my previous messages I had mentioned some cron.dead letters in
>>> root's home directory.
>>> I would like to upgrade my production servers which are currently
>>> running on 10.04 to 10.10 release without formatting them.
>>> I am looking for instructions for same.
>>> I have checked the community page for the same
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades
>>> can some one provide me a relevant how to for the same.
>>
>> Further down on that page is:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades#Network Upgrade for
>> Ubuntu Servers (Recommended)
> Yes I had seen this part.
>>
>> But why would you upgrade a 10.04 LTS production server to a 10.10 non-LTS ?
> Sorry I had missed that part what is the difference between LTS and non-LTS
> is non-LTS not better updated or fixed than 10.04 LTS server edition.

LTS releses are supported longer (5 years on server), but non-LTS
releases receive updates "only" for 18 months. So after 18 months you
won't have security fixes and other bugfixes for 10.10. If you're
planning to keep your server in production for longer than that and
you're using non-LTS, you will have to upgrade to a newer release more
often. Depending on your situation this may or may not be what you want.

If you install non-LTS over and over, you're getting more recent
software (like newer apache, newer php, newer kernel). If you install
LTS, you're "stuck" with older versions of stuff (then again, there are
backports, too). Again, it depends on your needs.

I personally have a 8.04 LTS installed which is a bit older but it still
works great, and I don't plan on reinstalling anytime soon. Had I
installed 7.10 or 8.10 back then, I would've stopped receiving updates a
long time ago. Which, again, could be fine if your server is not on the
Internet for example ;) like an internal server for developers, or
something like that.

(IMHO).

--
Imre Gergely