[ubuntu-server] Trying Ubuntu Server in Amazon EC2

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Wed Oct 13 15:08:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:50:47PM -0400, Scott Moser wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>
> > > How is this not a back door in an Ubuntu delivery?
> >
> > This is an experiment we're attempting to allow people to play with a
> > sandbox for less than an hour, with the backend being open sourced and
> > available for anyone to read, and with a FAQ about the raised issue in
> > place even before anyone brought it up.  If anything, that's an
> > obvious front door with a welcome sign.
>
> Its no different than if I (Scott) ran an ec2 instance for you and said
> "Here, try it out".  Because I launched it, I launched with my keys (I
> always launch my instances with my keys).  I imported your keys so you
> could get at it.  I told you that you could delete my keys and I'd be out
> for good.
>
> I'm willing to accept that, because we don't even have the recovery code
> in place, that we should have launched without ssh keys.
>
> We're now launching instances on http://10.cloud.ubuntu.com without keys
> that canonical has access to.

Thanks, Scott!

> I do think we're over-reacting a bit here.

I think the strength of the Ubuntu is its community, with a diversity
of viewpoints.  I'm glad you offered this great feature, glad
community members tried it out and gave feedback from their
perspectives, and glad you listened!

As I think about using awstrial myself to offer pre-configured systems
to colleagues, I apprciate that you didn't remove the functionality to
define the 'INSTANCE_KEY_NAME' we've been discussing in settings.py:

 https://bugs.launchpad.net/awstrial/+bug/659195

I wonder if the functionality is in there to restrict usage to members
of a particular launchpad group.  That would make it usable for a
large variety of team development situations!  I see that possibility
mentioned in the TODO, so I'm thinking more about how to use it now :)

 http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~awstrial-dev/awstrial/trunk/files

Cheers!

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/