[ubuntu-server] Trying Ubuntu Server in Amazon EC2

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 12 16:50:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

> > How is this not a back door in an Ubuntu delivery?
>
> This is an experiment we're attempting to allow people to play with a
> sandbox for less than an hour, with the backend being open sourced and
> available for anyone to read, and with a FAQ about the raised issue in
> place even before anyone brought it up.  If anything, that's an
> obvious front door with a welcome sign.

Its no different than if I (Scott) ran an ec2 instance for you and said
"Here, try it out".  Because I launched it, I launched with my keys (I
always launch my instances with my keys).  I imported your keys so you
could get at it.  I told you that you could delete my keys and I'd be out
for good.

I'm willing to accept that, because we don't even have the recovery code
in place, that we should have launched without ssh keys.

We're now launching instances on http://10.cloud.ubuntu.com without keys
that canonical has access to.

I do think we're over-reacting a bit here.