Can I move an LVM as I can move an ISO

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Tue Oct 5 14:01:36 UTC 2010

Quoting Tapas Mishra (mightydreams at gmail.com):
> Can an LVM be copied or transferred to some remote server in a similar
> fashion as
> I can do with ISO.(Not asking rsync)
>
> I copy the ISO one one place to some other location and on the second location
> I can mount this ISO and do what ever I want.
> Is similar thing possible with an LVM.

There might be a nifty way of copying it as though it were a file, but
I think I would do something like

	dd if=/dev/mapper/myvolume of=- | ssh $remotehost dd of=newfile

As for actually writinng it out to an LVM parition on the remote host,
I don't know how.  I should think you can use fdisk on the remote host
to create the right sized partition, and then use the device name for
that partition as 'newfile'

-serge