how to save bandwidth while package upgrades

James Page james.page at canonical.com
Tue Nov 16 09:18:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 14:32 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Here is a mail in /var/mail/root which I received in my server logs
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/532866/
> I see same packages downloaded many times again and again.
> The servers which are upgrading are total 5 (4 virtual machines and one host)
> so is there a way I can save bandwidth on this sort of setup.

I have a similar set-up for testing and have found apt-cacher-ng very
good; in my set-up I install apt-cacher-ng on the host and have the host
and all virtual machines set-up to use it as an apt proxy.

This can be done by adding the following configuration
to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d in a suitably named file.

Acquire::http { Proxy "http://<yourhostname/ip>:3142"; };

Hope this helps - save me alot of download time!

--
James Page
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server Team