General question or experiences about Landscape/Ubuntu Cloud /Cluster functionality.

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Thu May 27 09:44:23 UTC 2010

Hello,

I think what you need is a way to quickly and easily deploy a new
server and a solution to manage their configurations.

For automatic deployement, you have FAI (fully automatic installation).
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

That's what we were using before, FAI is usefull if you have different
OS to install

If you only want to install ubuntu, you can use the builtin system
based on preseed.

I wrote a blog post about setuping this solution:
http://www.pytips.com/2010/3/29/automatic-installation-of-ubuntu-karmic

At the end of the installation you'll have a minimal installation of
ubuntu server.

Then we use BCFG2 (you could also use puppet or cfengine), to convert
our server to it's real role (eg: webserver, database, etc)

The configuration tool also takes care of modifying the network
configuration, and the server host name.

The installation step describe in the blog use generic names for all
servers: srv-XX and also setup a generic network config in a VLAN used
for administration purpose: 10.0.0.XX, and takes care of all the
hardware specificities

It s the job of the confguration tool (bcfg2, puppet) to set the final
hostname (eg: www-XX.yourdomain.com) and add the other network
informations related to the role of the server.

This way we can easily change the role of a server without reinstallation.

For the partion management, all servers have the same setup for the 10
first Go and the rest of the available space is handle by the
configuration system.

The first 10Go are Raid1 holding the base system and the swap space.

Sebastien Estienne