some services don't bind to socket during boot

Leander Janssen leander at slaco.net
Fri May 21 08:17:56 UTC 2010

Hi All,

After upgrading my server from Karmic to Lucid a couple of services
don't bind to their specified ip socket anymore during the boot process.

The services that are affected are ssh, powerdns, iscsitarget, smb.

When checking the log files the services complain that the ip socket
they want to bind to does not exist.

What these services all have in common is that I've configured
a specific socket, instead of running the service on all interfaces and
ip addresses (0.0.0.0 or :::).

Another detail is that I'm using multiple ip addresses on the same
network interface. And that I'm using a bridge configuration to host
some kvm guests. I've attached a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces.

When I restart the services after boot they attach nicely to their
configured socket. But this is a bit problematic on a headless server
that is running in a remote datacenter.

I assume some sort of timing issue with upstart where the network
interface configration is not yet fully completed when other services
are being started.

Does anybody has an idea how I can further troubleshoot this issue?

Kind Regards,

Leander Janssen