Which is faster: iSCSI to linux box over 1Gb or local SATA storage with intel ICH9?

Sander van Vugt mail at sandervanvugt.nl
Sun May 16 11:39:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 11:14 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:23:19PM -0400, justino garcia wrote:
> > Which is faster: iSCSI to linux box over 1Gb or local SATA storage with
> > intel ICH9?
>
> You'll have to benchmark for your load, but local storage is usually
> faster than remote at least because of the lower latency.

A simple test that I like doing to measure performance data is like:

time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint/dummyfile bs=1M count=1024

That writes a 1 GB file from the /dev/zero and tells you how long it
took. I'd be interested to see the differences you measure between iSCSI
and local storage.

Of course, I am aware that this is just one simple and limited test, but
it gives an idea anyway.

Regards,
Sander