Changes in booting with ubuntu-server 10.04

Imre Gergely gimre at narancs.net
Mon Mar 29 09:59:42 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 11:03 AM, Tom Ellis wrote:
> Nikolai K. Bochev wrote:
>> Didn't centos have a boot splash that can show the boot process in a small console window ? Or was it SuSe ?
>> So you get the pretty booting splash with a nice progress bar, but if you want, you can click on an arrow to open the console and watch the boot process.
>> It's both "enterprisey" and informative.
>
> This was RHGB which has it's own bunch of issues, which Plymouth was
> designed to replace. Plymouth is the way forward, but I agree we need to
> be able to display some output of the standard init scripts like in
> previous releases. Removing splash and quiet increases verbosity of the
> boot sequence but I still see zero output from the run of the mill
> server services, apache etc.
>
> This may be just a bug with where the output is being redirected,
> perhaps we can leverage some of the work in other distributions running
> Plymouth to see if the same issue is encountered?

It's not really a server issue, but it could be related to booting. I've
just updated my Karmic to Lucid on my laptop. I have an ecrypted home
partition (with LUKS). I did not install it this way, but converted it
later my hand.

Now with Lucid I have problems on every boot. It asks me for the
password (a nice textbox appears on the splash screen), but then it just
waits there and I have to press S (skip) or M (mount/manual?), which
doesn't work and I get a shell where I can mount it manually.

I tried with nofb and without quiet and splash at the beginning, now it
asks me in text mode, but the same thing happens, it's just sitting
there, after I input the passphrase. I'm not even mentioning that
there's no clear prompt because it's overwritten with other messages /
scrolls up.

Does anybody else have a problem with encrypted partitions at boot time?

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959