Changes in booting with ubuntu-server 10.04

John Pybus john at jpnp.net
Thu Mar 25 19:40:14 UTC 2010

Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:07:51PM +0100, Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:
>> I have not tried any of the alpha or beta releases yet. But now I see
>> Micheal's horror story. PLEASE do not assume that a server can display ANY
>> kind of graphics. All my servers run headles and can only be logged in with
>> ssh.  If really no other way, I have to bring a keyboard/display to the
>> rack...
>> Again please let the init messages flow over our consoles.
>
> Silly question perhaps, but if they're headless why do you care a whole
> lot about what's being shown?

I'd imagine that it's because, if you've made the effort to head over to
a rack and connect display/keyboard it's not to admire the Ubuntu
branding as you machine starts; something is wrong and you want every
bit of feedback the machine can give you.

Desktop and Server use cases are just diametrically opposite in this
respect.  Some of the effort which has gone into smoothing the desktop
boot process can be seen as regression on a server.  I guess the effort
on startup time/readahead may be useful on the server, but BIOS startup
times so overwhelmingly dominate ubuntu boot time on my server hardware
that there's very little to be gained even there.

Best,
John