Give normal user access to an init.d script

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 25 12:57:29 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am not sure if this idea satisfies your requirements. However,
I think what you mean is, that you want to give this user only
the permission to start this particular service (shoutcast), and
don't give him full root access via sudo, is that right?

If so, you can do this still via sudo. Sudo allows you to configure
this particular user in a way that the obtained privileges only
allow the starting of the shoutcast script.

if you look at the configuration man page for sudoers there are some
examples how to do that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821 has also some good
explanations how to do this.

Hope this helps,