disk usage

Benjamin Griese der.darude at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 13:18:11 UTC 2010

That could help you if there are open files which are not deleted.
I had that sometimes in the past, where a ugly-written script for logration
moved away some logfiles and created a new one at the same place with the
old name.
In this case the old file was in use by the process which writes to this
process while moving and the filesystem for the logfile slowly grew up for
no appearent reason.

Good luck! :)

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-lsof.html

*Listing 5. Using lsof on Linux to look for a deleted file*

# lsof | grep error_log
httpd      2452     root    2w      REG       33,2      499    3090660
					/var/log/httpd/error_log (deleted)
httpd      2452     root    7w      REG       33,2      499    3090660
					/var/log/httpd/error_log (deleted)
... more httpd processes ...

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:08, Dirk Deimeke <dirk at deimeke.net> wrote:

> Answering Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>
> (Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:43:52 +0530):
>
> Hi,
>
> are you sure, no one (program, daemon, human being) is using any
> deleted files?
>
> If you are not sure consider a shutdown of all services or eventually
> a complete reboot.
>
> > Please suggest further
>
> Your blocksize is 4096, so regardless of the size of the file it will
> use at minimum 4k.
>
> If you want to take the effort you can check for wasted space.
>
> For example
> find /home /usr  -size -4096c | wc -l
> shows you a count of files which are smaller than 4096 bytes.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dirk
>
> --
> Kontakt: http://d5e.org/contact
> Blog:    http://dirk.deimeke.net/
> Podcast: http://deimhart.net/

To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To be is
to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra