after installing ubuntu-server, HDD's are not detected in AHCI mode

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Mon Jun 7 02:57:07 UTC 2010

On 07.06.2010 00:42, scar wrote:

> i am really leaning towards a bug with ubuntu.

Well if the same setup works on other machines of the same type, except
that one, I would suspect that there is a problem with hardware. My
personal experience with Sun hardware is actually quite bad, so i I
avoid them at all costs.

> i noticed something interesting in the installation, during the
> partitioning.  both disks initially showed up as 'free space' but, as
> soon as i carved out the partitions like i did last time, they magically
> showed up as raid/lvm paritions.  so, something was still on the disks.
>   maybe i need to use dd to write zeroes to the entire surface of both disks?

Deleting partitions doesn't delete anything on the disk - it just
'deletes' contents of MBR. Once you set up partitions, lvm/md will
detect existing lvm/md partitions and show them. You should delete
logical and raid volumes before creating new ones.