Server Team 20100120 meeting minutes

Thierry Carrez thierry.carrez at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 20 16:27:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100120.

==== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ====
 * smoser to look at getting Karmic images refreshed: bug verifiedfixed,
image refresh coming up before end of week

Action: smoser to publish karmic cloud image refresh

 * mathiaz to send out AWS Client lib RFC: done
 * ttx to coordinate alpha ISO testing: done
 * ttx for papercuts: discuss acceptance criteria, project publicity
plan: mail sent, more in this meeting
 * mathiaz to publish papercuts & apport efforts in our blog/community
channels: done
 * mathiaz to publish request for iso testing in our regular
blog/community channels: done

==== Spec quickreview ====

All alpha-3 targeted specs are on track.

To avoid useless noise, blueprint assignees are asked to refresh the
status of their specs by using the "Status:" section of the blueprint
whiteboard. It will then automagically show up in the report[1].

[1]
http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/canonical-server-lucid-alpha-3.html

Action: Everyone: update status for your specs before the meeting starts

==== Alpha3 subcycle planning ====

The final planning is still being discussed, and should be officialized
this week. No change is expected in the Prio 1 specs ("High" priority),
some priority changes might affect Prio2/3 specs, and some late specs
might be introduced as Prio2/3 specs.

==== server-lucid-papercuts ====

We discussed the papercuts acceptance criteria, as described in a recent
ubuntu-server ML post[2]. This looks fine and was approved. Final
criteria should make clear that any server-related package (in main,
universe or multiverse) is relevant, and that the fix should not
introduce a new feature (and therefore be OK to fix after
FeatureFreeze). The criteria might be further refined when we start
hitting difficult nominations.

About the project publicity plan, mathiaz already posted a blog entry
about the project on the ubuntuserver blog. This should be complemented
by an ubuntu-devel ML post, personal blog posts (ttx, zul) and brought
to the attention of the Ubuntu Weekly News team. alexm will talk about
it in his loco. The message is about nominating your favorite server
papercuts, so that we gather as many candidates as possible now.

[2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2010-January/003648.html

Action: ttx, zul to blog about papercuts, make sure UWN gets the word

Action: ttx to send email about criteria and nomination to ubuntu-devel,
ubuntu-server

==== server-lucid-apport-hooks ====

Building on the UDS Dallas discussion about how having apport hooks in
server packages can help the quality of the bug reports we receive, the
server apport hooks effort aims at adding as many as we can before
FeatureFreeze. zul created a page at [3] with likely candidates. Anyone
interested, please sign up for your favorite package, or add your own !

[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ApportHooks

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team ====

soren has been extending the ISO testing features, and can now at the
click of a button run ISO tests of the cartesian product of
i386/amd64,lvm/non-lvm,basic/mail/bind9/lamp/postgresql installs.
Documentation on the setup is under way, and the process should be
ultimately integrated with Marc Tardif's checkbox work. soren will lead
an UbuntuDeveloperWeek session about this next Tuesday at 2000 UTC.

==== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team ====

Discussion concentrated on bug Bug:494565, since a decision must be
reached on the best option to follow. The -virtual kernel currently
being a subflavour of -server and -generic-pae, building support for the
block devices needed for EC2 and UEC would also affect those kernels.
The options are CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2, CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET and
CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK. CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y, in particular, could have
unexpected consequences on some rare hardware. Note that building in
that SCSI support would not prevent it from being manually bypassed.
Alternatives would be to make -virtual a flavour of its own (but this
adds a lot of maintenance work for the kernel team), patch UEC so that
it works without that SCSI support (potential performance issues,
deviation from upstream), or abandon the idea of using no ramdisks for
UEC. This should be further discussed on ubuntu-devel.

Action: smoser to raise thread about the no-ramdisk / -virtual config
tradeoff

==== Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs ====

List at [4] still needs to be cleaned up to be more useful.

[4]
http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html

Action: zul, kirkland to unassign themselves from "maybe working on one
day" bugs

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 27th at 14:00 UTC in
#ubuntu-meeting.

- --
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team