dmidecode

Wes Hardin wes.hardin at maxim-ic.com
Wed Feb 10 16:31:22 UTC 2010

On 02/10/2010 10:02 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box running Ubuntu
> Server 8.04 supports" using dmidecode ? is that possible to find out
> without consulting the manufacturer ?

I use a tool called memconf which gives this information.

You can get memconf from

http://www.4schmidts.com/unix.html

It gives output like this:

hostname: manhack
Hewlett-Packard HP Z600 Workstation (2 X Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @ 2.27GHz)
Memory Error Correction: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Memory: 24576MB (24GB)
CPU0 DIMM1: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU0 DIMM2: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU0 DIMM3: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM1: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM2: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM3: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
empty memory sockets: None
total memory = 12288MB (12GB)

It also has a verbose mode which gives basic OS info (distro, arch, kernel).  It
puts all relevant information I typically need in one easily human digestable
format, so I hardly use other utilities anymore.

I've used it on Solaris and Linux for a long time.  Not entirely sure how it
gets this information, but it's written in perl, so you should be able to dig
out it's methodology.  It appears to be using dmidecode though, so if you still
wanted just plain dmidecode, it appears you probably can do that.

--
/* Wes Hardin */