PHP 5.3 for Lucid

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 9 19:08:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:58:22PM -0500, Steven Harms wrote:
> I am in strong support of 5.3, however out of pure curiosity what
> blocks packaging php like python, ie php5.2, php5.3 etc and using the
> alternatives system?

Sanity? :)

First, python doesn't use the alternatives system at all for /usr/bin/python
(and should never do so).

Second, python minor versions are packaged in parallel because the bytecode
for pure python modules is incompatible from one revision to the next.  If
this were not an issue, I don't think we would spend all the energy that we
do providing multiple 2.x versions of python.