RFC: redhat-cluster-suite demotion to universe

Ante Karamatić ivoks at grad.hr
Mon Feb 8 01:50:36 UTC 2010

On 07.02.2010 20:52, Mathias Gug wrote:

> If I understand correctly it's currently impossible to upgrade
> automatically from cman/rgmanager to the new stack. Fabio told me that
> there were plans to add support for the existing cman/rgman
> configuration syntax to the new components (pacemaker) but that
> feature was not ready yet.

It's also impossible to do heartbeat -> pacemaker upgrade without any
user interaction.

> So how would one upgrade from Hardy rhcs to the new cluster stack in Lucid?

One would get newer rhcs, which would be in universe (well, parts of it
anyway).

Having automatic configuration merge would be fantastic, but I don't see
it as a requirement. We are talking about two different products here.
Did we (desktop) merge pidgin's config when it was replaced? We should
provide good documentation for that and some of it can be done by simple
editing of test cases which I wrote
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting).

> I understand your point of view and appreciate the effort you've put
> into testing the new stack - which is already in universe IIUC. I'm
> trying to figure out what we'd loose with the new cluster stack and
> how upgrades from Hardy rhcs should be handled.

No, stuff that's in universe is very old and stack changed a lot since
then. If it stays in universe, we'll lose support for pacemaker both in
OCFS2 and GFS2. It's main or nothing. Having both crippled pacemaker
cluster stack and redhat-cluster (which will for sure reach its EOL
before 10.04 does) would make Ubuntu quite undesirable for fail over
systems.