proposed universe demotion: virt-manager (or, a request for active maintenance)

Serge van Ginderachter serge at vanginderachter.be
Mon Feb 1 12:22:20 UTC 2010

On 1 February 2010 12:35, Nikolai K. Bochev <n.bochev at grandstarco.com>wrote:

> If you agree that virt-manager doesn't belong in main, then maybe you can
> point out an application that is developed, maintained and fits the
> specifications to be either supported by the server or the desktop teams,
> that has the abilities of virt-manager. As i stated in my previous mail, i
> am advanced enough to use all the cli tools, i can even write my own python
> based web manager that can draw RRD graphs and whatnot, but that's not the
> point. The point is virt-manager is a graphical interface to a server
> service that offers a lot out of the box for both server and desktop based
> installs and it does it's job good , fast and easy. I have around 20 ubuntu
> servers with KVM virtual machines on them which i have to check upon daily.
> Now what would be easier - having to write a script that uses virsh to
> display some stuff , or i just look at the virt-manager and see if there's a
> problem with a machine ?

I second this opinion. If Ubuntu is serious about supporting KVM as an
enterprise solution, then a complete stack of tools is needed. Including
virt-manager of any another decent app.

--
    Met vriendelijke groet,

    Serge van Ginderachter

Disclaimer: by sending an email to ANY of my addresses you are agreeing
that:

1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit,
    political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I
may quote it on usenet.
3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality
    that may be included on your message

"Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion." -
Michael Jordan