maverick - apache locale issue

Aljoša Mohorović aljosa.mohorovic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 22:03:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> In 2.2.12-1, August of 2009, Sefan Fritsch added it as the default in
> envvars as well, though I don't know that this affected anything, it did
> make it more clear.

default maverick installation (for aws ec2) contains this:
## The locale used by some modules like mod_dav
export LANG=C
## Uncomment the following line to use the system default locale instead:
# . /etc/default/locale

export LANG
". /etc/default/locale" is commented by default and this is causing errors.

> Have you filed a bug in Debian and/or Ubuntu for this yet? I think it
> warrants a deep explanation of why you think it shouldn't be defaulted
> to LANG=C , and some thoughtful developer resources as well.

i didn't filed a bug because i assumed that there is some explanation
why LANG=C is the default setting.
this is why i asked this question.
from my perspective, since LANG=C setting is causing errors for
non-ascii file uploads (and probably other locale related stuff), it
should be explained why LANG=C is the default setting and not system
default locale.
as before, any comments are appreciated.

Aljosa