web based virtual machine manager

D Dicky andreasjung8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:01:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Jamie McDonald <jmack at iclebyte.com> wrote:

>  On 01/12/2010 09:24, Andreas Jung wrote:
>
> Is there a web based Virtual Machine Manager which is available from Ubuntu
> repositories.
> I am looking for some thing which  can would be useful for
> be web hosting companies.These web hosting companies can buy server space
> on one place and they can
> sell this server space to one customer who would use this Virtual Machine
> etc to host website etc inside a cloud.
> The Virtual Machines could be Windows Servers,Solaris servers,Some Linux
> servers etc or stuff like that.
> I hope I make myself clear.
> Let me know if some one has an idea for the same.
> I am aware of libvirt but that is not web based thing.
>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> You are correct, libvirt is not a web based application it's command line
> based as you say, however it is a set of tools to control virtual machines.
> On top of libvirt you can then build other management applications which
> make calls to libvirt to do the underlying leg work.
>
> If you look at the libvirt website it actually lists some web based VM
> managers built using libvirt: http://libvirt.org/apps.html#web
>
> I'm also in the process of starting a cloud based hosting firm. However we
> are looking at using OpenQRM: http://www.openqrm.com/
>
> Another solution we looked at was Convirture:
> http://www.convirture.com/products_opensource.php
>
> I'd be interested to hear from any others on the list who are running this
> kind of setup for web hosting or VPS provision or even just datacenter
> infrastructure. What are you using?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jamie.
>
> I would like to use  Xen ( I have no clue of performance of KVM) and Dell
Servers.I am looking to integrate cPanel Reverse DNS api's if available in
PHP to my application.
Also integrate WHCMS billing module in them which would take care of billing
part.
Since the end user would not be aware of any such technical details I would
like to have an ajax based interface for all this.
Also having a drop and drag API as yahoo scripts support them.
This application would also be some thing which would support VLAN tagging
and on top of it back and restore utilities for this.
 This application would be able to create Virtual Machines from templates
and also a GUI for thin provisioning on internet.
That is what I am trying to achieve would PHP be a good choice for such a
setup or Python should be used.
When Xen VM reboots then its domid is not preserved so I have no clue as how
is that going to work in my situation.