Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation
ahmed.kamal at canonical.com
Mon Aug 9 14:59:32 UTC 2010
I've been thinking about ways to grow the Ubuntu server and cloud
communities. As it stands, I think there is a bit of fragmentation in
the server and cloud related IRC channels. Since active and
knowledgeable IRC community members are a valuable resource, I think it
is beneficial to consolidate channels. Here's what I think could help
I suggest that #Ubuntu-virt be closed, and all traffic and new joines
force-redirected to #ubuntu-server.
Similarly, that #Ubuntu-ec2 and #Ubuntu-ensemble be closed and all
traffic and new joins force-redirected to #ubuntu-cloud.
1) Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel
* e.g. packaging, patching, debugging, development, etc.
2) Traditional server discussion happens in #ubuntu-server
* e.g. running Ubuntu on your server hardware or in a virtual
machine, getting it installed, configuration/management of services,
3) New-age cloud server discussion happens in #ubuntu-cloud
* e.g. running UEC private clouds, running Ubuntu in EC2, cloud
work loads, ensemble cloud magic, etc.
When someone /join #ubuntu-ec2, they're plopped right into #ubuntu-cloud
(and the same for the other consolidated channels).
Would love to hear your feedback
More information about the ubuntu-server