Server Team 20100803 meeting minutes

Jos Boumans jos.boumans at canonical.com
Wed Aug 4 10:32:16 UTC 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 03:04, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 07:43:22 pm Mathias Gug wrote:
>> ==== Magical powers ====
>>
>> ttx bragged about the fact that he could take on a triceratops with
>> his
>> bare hands and the power of his look. jiboumans shattered ttx dreams
>> reminding him that science had proved triceratops didn't actually
>> exist.
>
> I'm pretty sure it was the Brontosaurus that didn't exist.

Not having studied this myself of course, I'm merely
relaying the information from an article in the new
scientist[1]:

"Triceratops had three facial horns and a short, thick neck-frill with
a saw-toothed edge. Torosaurus also had three horns, though at
different angles, and a much longer, thinner, smooth-edged frill with
two large holes in it. So it's not surprising that Othniel Marsh, who
discovered both in the late 1800s, considered them to be separate
species.
Now Scannella and Horner say that triceratops is merely the juvenile
form of torosaurus. As the animal aged, its horns changed shape and
orientation and its frill became longer, thinner and less jagged.
Finally it became fenestrated, producing the classic torosaurus form"

Cheers,

-Jos

[1] http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727713.500-morphosaurs-how-shapeshifting-dinosaurs-deceived-us.html