replace amavisd-new with mailscanner in main and in documentation

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 04:48:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>wrote:

> The problem wasn't "between mailscanner and postfix". The problem was
> mailscanner using internal postfix interfaces to extract and inject mail

That is the problem I was referring to.  It would seem involve both
mailscanner and postfix.

Anyway, basically postfix now has the ability to write files to the queue
and then hold them there.  MailScanner (or any other scanner that wants to
make use of it) can then safely grab the file, send it through scanners,
then tell postfix to send it on (or delete it, quarantine it, or tag it if
necessary).  The only criticism I've really seen of MailScanner (though I'm
sure someone could come up with more if they wanted to) is how it used to
rip the emails out of postfix (which would have made mailscanner a definite
non-option for me too), but the new method of swapping around the emails
takes care of that.

The advantages of MailScanner are easier configuration and management, an
awesome (optional) web interface, and performance.  Feature sets look fairly
identical, except I know you can do keyword filtering (a must-have in my
company) with MCP in maillscanner but I don't see that their is a way to do
it with amavisd-new.

Of course, MailScanner is just MY preference and just thought I would
mention it.

Brazen