UDS Maverick: Call for Blueprints for Ubuntu Server

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 28 16:58:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:17:00PM -0230, Roderick B. Greening wrote:

> > > Are there plans regarding ldap/kerberos user management and
> > > authentication? Launchpad has quite a few old blueprints around these,
> > > but I haven't been able to find information about long term plans.
> >
> > I would like to propose a blueprint for a base directory setup tool based
> > on the OpenLDAP-DIT project: https://launchpad.net/openldap-dit.  The
> > current branch adds schemas and objects for DNS, DHCP, etc and these may
> > be more work than I have time for.
> >
> > As many have noted there is a need for a tool/process to get a base
> > directory created for those users who don't know a lot about LDAP.  As a
> > starting place using a simpler version of the openldap-dit-setup.sh script
> > that just creates the base DC, OUs, admin user, etc is a reasonable goal
> > for Maverick.
> >

> It would be ideal if there were an easy way to setup LDAP and via some basic
> questions, get you up an running.
>
> I'm all for helping out on such an endevour (from the "what I need it to do"
> department and not the technical of LDAP.. which I am weak on).

I think this is a great idea. Basing the work on the openldap-dit project is a
good start.

I would focus on:

 1. Identifying which use cases should be covered:
    * user and group management.
 2. Creating a DIT that can be used to cover the use cases:
    * openldap-dit is a good starting point.
 3. Creating a package that asks basic questions and setup the DIT.
 4. Looking into administration tools:
    * CLI to cover the basic use cases - ldapscripts is useful.

I'd suggest to file a blueprint and discuss it at UDS if you wanna hash out the
plan for Maverick.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com