UDS Maverick: Call for Blueprints for Ubuntu Server

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:08:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Veli-Matti Lintu <
veli-matti.lintu at opinsys.fi> wrote:

> > Lähettäjä: "Jos Boumans" <jos.boumans at canonical.com>
>
> > with the Lucid release cycle nearing its completion, it's
> > time to start looking forward to our next release: Maverick
> > Meerkat.
>
> Hello,
>
> Are there plans regarding ldap/kerberos user management and authentication?
> Launchpad has quite a few old blueprints around these, but I haven't been
> able to find information about long term plans.

I would like to propose a blueprint for a base directory setup tool based on
the OpenLDAP-DIT project: https://launchpad.net/openldap-dit.  The current
branch adds schemas and objects for DNS, DHCP, etc and these may be more
work than I have time for.

As many have noted there is a need for a tool/process to get a base
directory created for those users who don't know a lot about LDAP.  As a
starting place using a simpler version of the openldap-dit-setup.sh script
that just creates the base DC, OUs, admin user, etc is a reasonable goal for
Maverick.

I know directory services are not a hugely high priority for the full time
members of the Server Team, but are of great interest to many of the same
members.  I should have time this cycle to work on such a blueprint to
hopefully have an easier way to get starting using OpenLDAP on Ubuntu
Server.

Please let me know your ideas and if this is a worth while project for a
community member.

--
Party On,
Adam