UDS Maverick: Call for Blueprints for Ubuntu Server

Veli-Matti Lintu veli-matti.lintu at opinsys.fi
Sat Apr 24 13:24:33 UTC 2010

> Lähettäjä: "Jos Boumans" <jos.boumans at canonical.com>

> with the Lucid release cycle nearing its completion, it's
> time to start looking forward to our next release: Maverick
> Meerkat.

Hello,

Are there plans regarding ldap/kerberos user management and authentication? Launchpad has quite a few old blueprints around these, but I haven't been able to find information about long term plans.

I've been using ldap/kerberos to run school networks and it certainly is possible to get these working for production, but it's not always easy. Especially now that schools are integrating more and more web based applications that integrate with ldap, it is becoming a critical piece in the setup. There are often quite a few parties involved running the setups and usually there are also non-Ubuntu systems involved.

I wrote more about the issues on the edubuntu-devel mailing list:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-devel/2010-April/003431.html

As I really haven't been involved in Ubuntu development, I do not know what the plans are and how to get involved. Schools have several domain specific needs that are probably not useful elsewhere, but having a solid common ground could help building the tools for schools. I hope I can help with something if there are plans on this front. Lucid is looking really good and I can only imagine what could be built on it.

Veli-Matti