[RFC] meeting minutes

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Fri Apr 23 14:13:28 UTC 2010

Howdy team-

I propose that we adjust the way we collect and publish meeting minutes,
preserving their usefulness while reducing the time required of the
weekly scribe.

Specifically, section "8.0.3.2. Publishing the minutes" of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase .

Steps 1a-1c are fine.  But step 1d can take a very long time.  It takes me
at least 1 hour to write the minutes for a 1 hour meeting.  I've
confirmed that it takes Thierry about the same as well.

I suggest refining this step to consist of the following two simple
processes:
  i) Extract the ACTION items to a section near the top of the
MeetingLog page listing all ACTIONs
  ii) When pasting the full log into the {{{ }}} section, quickly scan
the log and indent the line or lines where "important things were said"
or "decisions were made".  (Ideally, we would bold the text or
something, but the {{{ }}} tags say "render this literally)

I believe that these two key points will maintain the usefulness of the
minutes, by tracking the actions that should be carried over from
meeting to meeting and highlighting the key points in the meeting.  This
should probably consume less than 10 minutes of time.

As for step 2, Publishing the minutes, personally I do not see the value
in duplicating the text in 4 locations:
 * the ubuntu-server@ list
 * the ubuntu-devel@ list
 * the ubuntuserver blog
 * the wiki MeetingLogs

I think that the minutes should be published in the MeetingLogs wiki,
and a hyperlink shared on the two mailing list and the blog.

Alternatively, I came across this:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScribesTeam/SubmitMeeting

Looks like there's an active team in the Ubuntu Community that processes
the output of MootBot and generates minutes.  What do we think about
enlisting their services?

Comments?  Can we please reduce the scribe burden a bit?

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Canonical, LTD