remove dovecot-postfix from lucid

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 16 15:07:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 07:17:18AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> >Fixing shortcomings in the current implementation seems important but
> >please don't stop providing good default configuration and helpers for
> >the common needs.
> >

> Well put. There are a LOT fewer requests for help with this kind of setup
> since we had dovecot-postfix. I think it clearly helps people get started
> with Ubuntu Server and that is a very Ubuntu thing to do.

I agree with the goals here. We should look into ways to make things simpler.

Providing an easy way to integrate postfix and dovecot seems to answer a
need and is a good objective to tackle.

We've tried one way and we now know the drawbacks of the current
implementation:

 * non-standard location of configuration files breaks common knowledge.

Given that lucid is an LTS my proposal is:
 * remove the current dovecot-postfix package
 * put the instructions in a wiki page on help.ubuntu.com/community/
   so that people asking for help can be pointed to the wiki page.
 * schedule a session at the next UDS to discuss a different implementation

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com