RFC: remove dovecot-postfix from lucid

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 15 22:47:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

During the Jaunty release cycle the dovecot-postfix package was created in
order to make it easier to integrate dovecot and postfix. The solution chosen
was to not modify the default dovecot configuration file and instead generate a
dovecot-postfix.conf with the correct options. The init script was also
modified to use the new dovecot-postfix.conf file (if available) instead of the
default configuration file.

While the goal is worthwhile the implementation seems to not be the best
option. Using an alternate configuration file breaks a lot of common knowledge
to the point that an upstream developer filed a bug [1] with a patch to dovecot
to provide additional checks specific to Ubuntu.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dovecot/+bug/511295

Given the LTS status of Lucid I'd suggest to drop the dovecot-postfix package
in order to avoid carrying a non-default/Ubuntu-specific configuration file
around for 5 years.

What needs to be done is to update dovecot init script to not look for
dovecot-postfix.conf and migrate an existing dovecot-postfix.conf to
dovecot.conf in the maintainer scripts.

I still think the objective is worthwhile and we should spend some time at the
next UDS to come up with a better implementation.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com