Problem with no display on 10.04 beta2 server

Alvin info at alvin.be
Sun Apr 11 10:06:36 UTC 2010

On Sunday 11 April 2010 11:59:58 James Gray wrote:
> On 11/04/2010, at 7:15 PM, Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
> > I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server
> > on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and
> > then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no
> > login prompt nothing!
> >
> > Connecting through ssh works but I fear the day when I need to
> > troubleshoot the server at the console...
> >
> > -J
>
> What happens if you ssh in, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and modify the default
> kernel parameters to remove "quiet splash" (or if that fails, try include
> "text"), then reboot.  See if that makes any difference to the result.
> Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but this little trick has
> revealed volumes in the past.  I know it should "Just Work" but this might
> help isolate the fault.  My initial guess is there is something a bit
> henky with the frame buffer support.

In the past, it might have, but I tried this on a desktop edition of Lucid
beta and it was a bad idea. Boot halted (because of the bug where you can't
mount more than 4 lvm volumes.)

Without splash and quiet, you can see the messages, but not the buttons you
have to press to skip mounting the volume.