routing

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Sat Sep 26 11:19:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Leonel Nunez <leonel at enelserver.com> wrote:

>> I will shortly be in a position of routing a 192.168.0.0/16 network to
>> an x.y.z.0/24 public address network. What is the easiest way to give
>> the private ip clients public ip addresses? I am running 9.04 but will
>> upgrade to 9.10 after testing.
>>

> you need to set up  NAT  with  IPTABLES
>
> --
> Leonel Nunez
> http://enelserver.com
> http://enelserver.com/leonel/

Something like

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -d 68.x.x.1 -j DNAT
--to-destination=192.168.0.5
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.0.5 -j SNAT
--to-source=68.x.x.1

?

Seduced in part by fwbuilder but version in universe has a few issues:

Help file /usr/share/fwbuilder-3.0.2/help/main_en_US.html not found.
A new version of Firewall Builder is available at http://www.fwbuilder.org
Disconvery Druid bombs - fwbuilder: utils.cpp:122: void
fillLibraries(QComboBox*, libfwbuilder::FWObject*, bool): Assertion
`libobj!=__null' failed.
Aborted

Add fwbuilder debs to sources.list, install fwbuilder and

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libfwbuilder_3.0.7-b1472-ubuntu-jaunty-1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libfwbuilder.so.8', which is also in
package libfwbuilder8

I am agnostic about how '1-1' NAT gets done. Looking  for the bunny slope.

And while we are at it, what recommendations have you for a VPN Router
Firewall for 15 workstations connecting to an existing VPN? Appliance
is good.

--
http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net

The path to God starts with a simple act of kindness.