Karmic for Sparc

Michael Casadevall mcasadevall at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 17 02:24:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:17 PM, John Cater <katre50 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:35:58 -0400 John Cater <katre50 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >feisty, gutsy - I still have the netboot images but with no archive, they
>> >can't be installed
>>
>> These archives can still be found at old-releases.ubuntu.com.  No idea how
>> or if you can point your netboot there.
>>

> Thanks, with a bit of work I found the "enter information manually" for
> setting up the repository.
>
> Gutsy installs properly (it starts, it can see and use the virtual disks,
> and the system then starts). Thanks for helping me get something on my
> system (even if I then have to upgrade through three more releases).
>
> katre

I assume you need relatively modern SPARC hardware for this
configuration, no? (my main sparc is a sunfire v120), so I don't think
I can test.

On an related sidenote, I cooked up
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/silo/+bug/431106 which
should fix karmic d-i, and the d-i hangs while trying to install silo
bug (I haven't been able to test if this actually fixes d-i, but it
should).
Michael

PS: Its nice to see there is a pretty lively Ubuntu SPARC userbase :-)