Karmic for Sparc

John Cater katre50 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:08:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Michael Casadevall <mcasadevall at ubuntu.com
> wrote:

> SPARC has had some kernel issues recently which should be resolved as
> of writing, but it is still a community-supported architecture. silo
> at the moment is broken though causing d-i to FTBFS, and the
> installation to bomb out, its been on my TODO list to look at this for
> awhile, but I have no ETA on when that might be.

Thanks. If you need any help testing I'd be happy to make a new VM to try
something in.

> At the moment, the best way to install is to use a Dapper or Hardy
> (depending on your machine, I had to use Dapper's installer to get my
> SunFire to install, but Hardy's installer should work), then upgrade
> to the desired release. Jaunty's netboot installer may also work, but
> I haven't personally tested it.

This is what I have been doing. I just tried the Jaunty netboot image, which
erfuses to start (with a fast trap MMC error I didn't copy). I also tried
Intrepid, and it will start, but the sunvdc module that comes with it
appears not to handle the virtual disks in the VM.

Thanks very much,
katre