Reporting bugs with the Ubuntu EC2 images

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 10 16:40:02 UTC 2009

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug?field.tags=ec2-images

> It seems unlikely that EC2 users will know what package is causing their
> problem.

Thats fine.  They don't have to specify a package.  Obviously its nice if
they know, but not a requirement.

> Will all Ubuntu on EC2 bugs be filed against "ubuntu"?
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=ec2-images

Yes, they should be.  So that link should work. Alternatively,
http://tinyurl.com/ec2-images-bugs shows all bugs with expanded tasks
(targetted release and such)

> It seems more complicated to have to tell people reporting bugs to open
> the "Extra Options" and add a tag of "ec2-images".

Agreed, but the URL above should work around that, right?  Additionally,
(I think) we can make 'ubuntu-bug' when run from inside the images
tag the created bug appropriately.

> Perhaps there could be a wiki page with complete instructions on how to
> file a problem with Ubuntu on EC2 including things like "Report the AMI
> id of the image you are running".

Agreed again.  I'd suggest something placed at like
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EC2/Issues
and a link off of https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EC2StartersGuide .

If we get something there, I'll make sure they're linked from the amazon
pages ([1] and [2]) so that ec2 users could find the link without having
to dig on help.ubuntu.com

--
[1] http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbclick.jspa?categoryID=223&externalID=2754&searchID=1818410
[2] http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry!default.jspa?categoryID=223&externalID=2755&fromSearchPage=true